Forums » General

How to make Custom Skins

• 328 posts
    February 9, 2017 12:22 PM PST

What you need:

• Unity3d (Optional) https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download
    • Photoshop/GIMP or any photo editing software. 
    • Little knowledge of design.

We will use Unity3d to check the skins on our weapons (Weapons that are free on Asset Store).

Follow this vid and have fun.
    If you have questions, lemme know and keep this thread free of flame wars and complaints. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK8xRPNNUqY

(CAN'T USE THE EMBED VIDEO THINGY COZ IT DOESN'T EMBED.)

This post was edited by Zero at February 9, 2017 12:47 PM PST
    • 609 posts
    February 9, 2017 2:09 PM PST

another view another like

• 328 posts
    February 9, 2017 6:11 PM PST

STERBEN99 said:

another view another like

Thanks

• 141 posts
    February 9, 2017 6:57 PM PST
    @Zero...You said you have the other guns also.Is it possible that you can upload the models somewhere so that I can download them.
    I use blender instead of unity so... I have got some prep work to do first.
    • 328 posts
    February 10, 2017 5:03 AM PST
    Sure. Willl do it when I get time.
    • 141 posts
    February 10, 2017 5:06 AM PST
    And post the link here.
    • 254 posts
    February 10, 2017 8:16 AM PST

Actually, all we really need are the texture templates {JPG/PNG}. Put them into GIMP/Photoshop and match the texture you want to that template. It should come out perfectly useable.

I've done the same thing with the 3d comix I made {as well as the custom maps I did previously} when I wanted a look that wasn't available for the model. It's stupid-easy to do and works beautifully.

This post was edited by BlueDragonFire at February 10, 2017 8:17 AM PST
    • 141 posts
    February 10, 2017 10:10 AM PST
    BlueDragonFire said:

Actually, all we really need are the texture templates {JPG/PNG}. Put them into GIMP/Photoshop and match the texture you want to that template. It should come out perfectly useable.

I've done the same thing with the 3d comix I made {as well as the custom maps I did previously} when I wanted a look that wasn't available for the model. It's stupid-easy to do and works beautifully.

True, but you need both the help of photo editor and 3d software to create more seamless look.Also sometimes it is easier and more effictive to paint by model faces than selecting area in the 2d editor. In other words you can create outstandins skins with just a 2d image editor but with the additional support of a 3d software you can do literally anything.
    • 254 posts
    February 10, 2017 12:10 PM PST

Sure. But for myself, I'm more comfortable and precise using 2d {GIMP} to create the texture and just checking it with 3d {DAZ Studio}. I've tried doing the 3d painting but it just didn't work too well for me. Everyone who does 3d modeling has their own favorite method.

I wasn't able to find the "UMP40" in Unity Store, though I did find the "UMP 45" {similar but not quite what we're using}. Unfortunately, the UV was a mess - meaning that the creator didn't clean it up. In cases like that then the only options are to clean up the UV before using the model or use the 3d painting method.

Below are 2 examples of UV templates {for those who haven't worked with textures/templates} - both from Unity Store.

The first is a Submachine gun {Mooshoo Labs} via the "Free Guns Pack". The UV was nicely cleaned up by the modeler and would be great to work with.

This one is the UMP-45 {7XFGames} via the "Modern Weapons Pack". The modeler didn't bother to clean up the UV. IMO, it's the mark of someone who just wanted to get the model out and didn't really care whether or not others might want to make textures for it. Rather lazy as far as I'm concerned, no matter how good the actual model is.

Personally, if I was going to use the above "UMP-45" model in a game I'd probably just completely redo it {I checked the UV in 3ds Max and it's a total mess and would be difficult to clean it up as it is}. It certainly could have been done much better.

But anyway. I'd like to see the models for the weapons being used here myself. For my comix I recreated the Plasma Gun using 3ds Max since I couldn't find the actual model {I also used this model as a display in my last custom map}. It wasn't exact but it was pretty dang close.

This post was edited by BlueDragonFire at February 10, 2017 12:10 PM PST
    • 998 posts
    February 10, 2017 2:05 PM PST

@BlueDragonFire Yup the second image is a good example of a messy UV map.

I been preparing weapon models for download and so far all of them have UV maps closer to the first type.
    Each weapon will be packed into separated .zip archive along with texture and README.txt with a guide to get started

About UMP 40, it's not from Asset Store, it was custom made for the game

About release, hopefully the first Beta version will be ready this sunday (will post more info on that day)

• 254 posts
    February 10, 2017 2:14 PM PST

Fantastic! Thanks Max!!

This post was edited by BlueDragonFire at February 10, 2017 2:14 PM PST
    • 2 posts
    February 10, 2017 3:07 PM PST

Max said:

I been preparing weapon models for download and so far all of them have UV maps closer to the first type.
    Each weapon will be packed into separated .zip archive along with texture and README.txt with a guide to get started

About release, hopefully the first Beta version will be ready this sunday (will post more info on that day)

So, you are going to provide us with weapon models + textures?

• 609 posts
    February 10, 2017 3:34 PM PST

Horus said:

Max said:

So, you are going to provide us with weapon models + textures?

yes he will, btw max do ypu intend to create some built in customization for the skin? like a "paint"within the game...ready do draw, buy and use? just to know

• 141 posts
    February 10, 2017 6:39 PM PST
    @BLUEDRAGONFIRE that was exactly what I had in mind but I didnt include that because it would make the post long.It is nice of you taking you time to post those so that others can understand.
    • 254 posts
    February 10, 2017 6:45 PM PST

BTW - I had redesigned the Plasma Gun - with a few additions. I call it 'Plasma Gun Mk-2". No textures on it here...

That screen on top would be the sight {unfolds so shooter can see screen when 'aiming'} and the thing on front, bottom is kind of like a range finder {or a flashlight in dark areas, or infrared}. Energy cartridge is on the bottom behind the front grip.

This is just for amusement so no, don't go and try finding it in the Weapons Store. LOL

This post was edited by BlueDragonFire at February 10, 2017 6:47 PM PST
    • 1 posts
    March 5, 2020 3:21 PM PST

wow

• 1 posts
    May 26, 2020 1:26 PM PDT

I USED PAINT BUT IT DIDN'T WORK I WORKED SO ******* THAT SKIN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• 186 posts
    May 26, 2020 1:37 PM PDT

You should try using better programs such as GIMP or something other skin creators suggest you. Paint is probably one of the worst choices out there.

Sad you lost all that time working for nothing! Hope you have better luck using some other program.

• 141 posts
    May 26, 2020 3:36 PM PDT

Try Gimp like Erlaanz said. Also try Blender.

• 33 posts
    June 1, 2020 1:41 AM PDT

omg i tryied so much but i cant. I wana create a pictures so a skin.But i cant i wana ask how i can do it.Idk how to dowload UV images and i wil blow up. I want soebody tel me how to fix it.If somebody knows messsage me pls.I want to create new skins it just cant.Pls max can u fix it pls or i can blow up a time realy . Pls max help me i want create very much one :(

• 33 posts
    June 1, 2020 1:43 AM PDT

so anoying

• June 23, 2020 1:49 PM PDT

Why do I come up with this error?

• 289 posts
    June 23, 2020 1:53 PM PDT

DarkTheFacelessLord said:

Why do I come up with this error?

Max plz fix i want to buy that skin!!!

• July 14, 2020 4:47 PM PDT

Hey still waiting on a reply, please get back to this.

• 141 posts
    July 14, 2020 9:13 PM PDT

DarkTheFacelessLord said:

Hey still waiting on a reply, please get back to this.

Max did this so that people wouldn't make effortless skins using random pics from the internet.