Forums » Custom Maps

Map Requirements (Read before publishing)

• 998 posts
    November 5, 2022 9:47 PM PDT

Custom maps are subjected to minimal requirements (this does not apply to map testing, only when submitting the map), check them below:

1. Map cannot have just primitive shapes (Cubes, Spheres, Quads, Planes, Capsules, Cylinders) (Occasional primitive shapes are Ok, but cannot be used to construct whole buildings, bridges, etc.).
    2. Map must contain at least 5 distinct 3D models
    3. Map must not be smaller than Area 56 and not larger than TheRoad
    4. Avoid using any text on the map that insults players, or is directed toward any player in a negative manner
    5. Map must have baked Lightmaps
    6. Do not use audio to create jumpscares or as a voice message

To help you better evaluate if your map is ready for publishing answer the questions below:

- Does your map contains more custom 3D models than primitive shapes? (Primitive shapes are Cubes, Spheres, Quads, Planes, Capsules, and Cylinders).
    - Do your map textures look natural? (Natural-looking textures are when you look at the objects and they look what they are supposed to look in real-life or science-fiction, and no objects have stretched textures)
    - Is your map glitch-free? (Glitch is something on the map that would make other players think that it gives an unfair advantage to some players, for example, a 3D model that has a missing collider, meaning, players can walk inside them and become hidden, etc.)
    - Can you envision yourself playing on that map often?
    - Does your map have a visual quality that is similar to the official maps (or better)? (Visual quality is subjective, but we use real-life scenery as an example, the closer it looks to the real-life scenery, the higher its perceived quality.)
    - Do you have fps (frames-per-second) on your map that is similar to or better than on the official maps?

If you can answer Yes to every above question, then your map is most likely a good candidate for publishing. If you answer No to some of the questions, then the map needs to be improved in that area, If you are unsure whether to answer Yes or No, then you are not yet ready to publish the map and you must fill the gaps in knowledge that would allow you to answer that question.

This post was edited by Admin at February 18, 2023 5:06 PM PST
    • 459 posts
    November 5, 2022 9:54 PM PDT

Thank you very much, this is all we needed, now that it's implemented we won't need to go through the custom map search thoroughly, it will be more organized now.

• Eve
    • 317 posts
    November 7, 2022 2:32 PM PST

Well, What about the farming maps disguised as normal maps? :skull:

• 459 posts
    November 7, 2022 4:17 PM PST

Eve said:

Well, What about the farming maps disguised as normal maps? :skull:

Like Sniper Only Original or Snow War 2019?

• 954 posts
    November 7, 2022 7:41 PM PST

idk about anything in the custom map stuff, so this doesn't really apply to me. but ok

• 195 posts
    November 8, 2022 10:42 AM PST

I think this is a step in the right direction. Few days ago I played after some time and when I tried to find a server of my liking it was impossible there were barely any official maps besides Base, and the other option was custom maps which most of them are a combination of poor designs, ugliness and lazy work just to put your name in the game.

Let's take theisland2016 as an example, the map is huge and it's just 4 pieces of land connected by bridges where there is no cover besides the building in the middle of the map which is basically 6 basic Unity cubes put together and the armory spots in the spawn area. And for some reason I see that map played a lot (obviously the reason is people farming easy kills sitting on the hill in front of the enemy spawn.

I was one of those guys who back in 2014 and 2015 wanted custom maps back because I had great memories, but now that we got them back I think it requires a twist like being way more strict or even limiting the amount of custom maps there can be in the game. Just as there are 11 official maps, to be honest I think +50 custom maps is way too much.

And not only does this affect the current players, but also hooking new people into the game. Imagine a new person trying the game for their first time and the first thing they encounter is theisland2016/ModernCity or something by the likes which is a farming fiesta and looks horrible, that person most likely will never be back.

All that being said, it's a tough task and also I do know that you get a lot of backlash from young kids who just want to farm Cash or people in the top 100 or close to it who just want to farm XP.

Cheers!

• 609 posts
    November 8, 2022 12:45 PM PST

Have you considered adding a rotation system after the purge?

Still allowing those that remain to be acessed at any time but make it so that only in X ones can be gained XP on, for example, a weekly basis?

• 954 posts
    November 8, 2022 5:48 PM PST

or you know, max could just make more new maps

• 609 posts
    November 9, 2022 6:44 AM PST

Spacetrooper said:

or you know, max could just make more new maps

Diversity isn't necessarily a good thing, too many maps, even if 'official' ones, will spread the player population too thin across game rooms leading to a poorer gameplay experience

• 954 posts
    November 9, 2022 6:57 AM PST

well there are more than 113,500 players (memebers, not to include the un registered) that are in this game. so idk why there are only around 90 players on in the mornings, and only 40 ppl on in where I start playing (4 PM to 8 PM)

• 13 posts
    December 6, 2022 5:25 AM PST

I wish I'd seen this sooner Max that explains a lot, thank you. I only understood lightprobes after watching your tutorial : )

• March 11, 2023 4:13 AM PST

Prefixed map: Expressway = Baked Lightmaps

• 459 posts
    March 11, 2023 5:30 PM PST

Is that literally a map copyrighted from Martian Games?

• Eve
    • 317 posts
    March 11, 2023 10:44 PM PST

So, where's the playable area on this mf? Looks like it'll be a suicide until you get a good spawn kind of clusterfck.

• 100 posts
    March 11, 2023 10:52 PM PST

Kamikaze would ignore this place. 

• 652 posts
    March 12, 2023 1:41 AM PST

people from 9/11 should have crashed those maps instead

• 1146 posts
    May 1, 2023 1:40 AM PDT

@Max 

Doors map needs to be removed, its overrated + smaller than area56 + doesn't even contain distinct 3D models

creator: frogger

(also its simple map)

• 509 posts
    May 1, 2023 1:41 AM PDT

Aetoyn said:

@Max 

Doors map needs to be removed, its overrated + smaller than area56 + doesn't even contain distinct 3D models

(also its simple map)

^ i agree, it also steals players from different servers (for example sky), and this map is used for XP farming

• 954 posts
    May 1, 2023 6:37 AM PDT
    Agreed
    • 415 posts
    May 2, 2023 8:52 AM PDT

Inesop said:

Aetoyn said:

@Max 

(also its simple map)

^ i agree, it also steals players from different servers (for example sky), and this map is used for XP farming

^

• 652 posts
    May 3, 2023 10:25 PM PDT

doors is literally as bullsht as snow war

• 1146 posts
    June 4, 2023 2:37 AM PDT

remove doors when

nothing but a cheap map that attracts ppl for like no reason, its like tiktok ngl

EDIT

HWDP33 rn:  bro tf is this?

This post was edited by Cyanex at June 4, 2023 2:38 AM PDT
    • 1 posts
    November 19, 2023 2:08 PM PST
    Please someone explain to me how to create a map, I have a great idea that will improve the gameplay of the players.
    • 507 posts
    November 19, 2023 9:18 PM PST

Aankills12 said:

Please someone explain to me how to create a map, I have a great idea that will improve the gameplay of the players.

Well the first step is to install the unity editor, from there you can start creating gameobjects to design your map the way you want it. After that point you'll need to install the custom map tool package for final export into Warmerise. If you need help with any of that, feel free to send me a message