Forums » Custom Maps

High Land (new map)

• Hax
    • 28 posts
    February 8, 2020 3:17 AM PST

Hey everyone! Made a sniper based map -- with lots of different levels to shoot from :) There is one spot that's best to snipe from, but everyone will know you are there!

Check it out in the "pending" section of Custom Maps. Give it a 5-star rating if you want to play it LIVE! :D

(P.S. High Land 2 will include jet ships and trucks, but I need to work out if this map needs updates first!)

This post was edited by Hax at February 8, 2020 3:18 AM PST
    • 507 posts
    February 8, 2020 4:58 PM PST

I like your map (mostly).

I can tell that you took the terrain tool and played with that. The terrain tool is a great skill to have, but there were a few mistakes made  here: Everything is spiky. This is because you're trying to get VERY large vertical height with not a lot of horizontal distance, so your terrain is SUPER stretched. There's a smooth tool, which will help some of the less agressive spikes, but the things in the that go almost all the way up to the top can't be fixed. I would recommend going into the unity asset store and finding some low poly rock models that you like. These ones look pretty good to me, but use what you like. Then take those, scale them up, and stack them on top of each other to create a pillar that way, instead of having weird spikes.

The other issue I have is that you can get out of the map pretty easily. If you surround your map with cube gameobjects to act as a wall, then you can turn them invisible. I can't remember how you're supposed to do it for warmerise, but I think you make your walls a child of the "invisibleWalls" gameobject in the warmerise mapmaking package.

Lastly, I would love to see a different skybox for your level (or any levels in the future). EVERYONE uses the same default skybox and it looks really terrible. Adding a skybox makes most maps 100x better for very little effort.

This map has a pretty good layout, and even if you never changed anything, I could still see myself playing on it, but these are a few things I'd like to see you improve on if possible :)

• Hax
    • 28 posts
    February 8, 2020 8:59 PM PST

thanks for the tips