Forums » Bugs & Suggestions

suggestion : handicap system

• 2 posts
    June 16, 2021 5:18 PM PDT

If friends of different abilities want to play golf together, they can compete equitably with a handicap system. Why not warmerise?

The best games I've had are where both sides try hard and it ends in a draw, or very close. When one side (or just one player) dominates, it gets boring, being on the winning side is slightly less boring but I feel bad for those who just die all the time. Kudos to the best players for getting so good, but it kinda makes the game less interesting for everyone else not in the same league. Which might be why I think the numbers of players here is no where near what it could be. Lots are put off before they get going.

If each kill in a round got 20% harder, 1st kill 100pts, 2nd 120pts and so on... it would make dominating very hard indeed. It would also make a high kill streak sooo much more special, eg. for kill no.11 your opponent would effectively have more hit pts than a jet.

It could also be done from the other direction, your damage reduces 20% per kill. I thought about applying it to just a kill streak, but the easy workaround there is suicide to reset.

1) am I alone in thinking one sided games are boring? (I'm much older than the mean age here, so it wouldn't surprise me)

2) would 20% increments be enough? Too much? Can always be adjusted.

3) is a handicap system a) interesting, b) desirable, c) codable?

Couple of others -

I like the hide'n'seek option mentioned for a more social game

A sniper only mode (snipe + plasma, and maybe gravity gun allowed)

A melee only mode

They all start ad hoc, all can be fun, but are always spoiled by someone getting frustrated and pulling out a gun (in which case I'd refer you to my opening suggestion for a fix ;-)

This post was edited by Anewbie at June 16, 2021 5:19 PM PDT
    • 507 posts
    June 17, 2021 11:16 AM PDT
    I think that increasing the health of players based on score is probably too complicated. I think incentivizing playing for the losing team with bonus XP might work better, but that also kinda rewards poor performance in a way. Idk on that one.

• 2098 posts
    June 17, 2021 11:50 AM PDT
    In games were you have less health it works ok. But in a game like warmerise, where there aren’t any spawn rotations or balanced teams. It becomes something that would be very easy to abuse.