Forums » Off-Topic

Warmerise Standalone and the Community.

• May 30, 2017 9:49 AM PDT

Hello.

Recently Warmerise has received a new update introduced on a standalone version of the game, requiring to be downloaded and installed.

The new version promises performance improvements and less network lag, it also adds a fair share of new features and changes.

There is however an issue.

The community refuses to use the Standalone version, and instead stays with the Unity/WebGL version - the one they complained so much about.

This is actually a bit sad - the better solution is literally next to you, on a silver plate.

All you have to do is take it and enjoy the improved game.

And yet, people still use the inferior browser version.

The file size of Warmerise is really small, it installs fairly quickly, and it seriously runs faster, so why aren't you using it?

I checked the game a few minutes ago and saw only one player connected (apart from me).

One.

I see only a few solutions to this;

a) give Standalone players more benefits, even though better performance is already a great benefit;

b) remove browser versions completely, forcing users to play on Standalone;

c) wait and keep updating Standalone with new & *exciting* content to shift their interest to Standalone

I personally believe that the option C is the most suitable as for right now.

What do you think? Share your thoughts and suggestions.

• 507 posts
    May 30, 2017 12:25 PM PDT
    Definitely A and/or C need to happen. Additionally, an advertisement inside webplayer when you start it saying "hey, standalone exists, it's super cool yo" would be nice.

People aren't using it for two major reasons:
    1) Mac support. People use macs to play, and there's no Mac build so they're out of luck.
    2) performance isn't always better. I've talked to a couple people who actually get WORSE performance in standalone.

Edit: reason 3)
    Other people aren't playing standalone, or at a minimum that's the common perception.
    This post was edited by chronospectrum at May 30, 2017 12:29 PM PDT
    • 91 posts
    May 30, 2017 12:32 PM PDT
    i was going to say exactly what chrono said. the standalone version should be advertised on the browser ones. there has to be something that makes the standalone look better than browser versions
    • 283 posts
    May 30, 2017 1:10 PM PDT
    Strangely, but I'll go for option B. Although not 'permanently' but just for a short period of time. People do go there but they turn back after finding no one playing there. And as they turn back, others eventually do it to, hence no one is found to play there, even though people do go there for once.
    People using browser version are in a 'flow', so if you break their flow, they'll have to (apparently) go for the standalone version, and once it get started, reopening browser version won't make a big difference then.
    However, some people will get totally lost who cannot get their standalone working properly. That's what Max should try to fix first before attempting any idea to divert people towards the standalone.
    • 91 posts
    May 30, 2017 2:24 PM PDT
    yea i agree db. i was thinking of option b, like while advertising the standalone he can also say "browswr version will be removed soon. switch over to standalond" or something like that
    • 610 posts
    May 30, 2017 4:14 PM PDT

Definitly not Option B. I'd say C is best. I haven't tried Standalone version yet (actually haven't even downloaded it....yet) because I don't know if it is free to download or not.....is it?

Oh and I'm not using because i have enough junk on my computer. I can't play Steam on it or Minecraft, so what's the chance Warmerise Standalone will work? This pc is old too. I don't think it can handle much more to be honest.....But i MIGHT try Standalone anyway.

We'll see....

This post was edited by StarWarsCrazy at May 30, 2017 4:46 PM PDT
    • 283 posts
    May 30, 2017 5:42 PM PDT
    O.F.C.O.U.R.S.E it is totally free!
    And if your computer can run the game on browser, running the standalone shouldn't be a problem for it. If it's not your operating system's version problem because I'm guessing standalone version is being specific on not running over some operating systems, like the obsolete or outdated ones.
    • 610 posts
    May 31, 2017 5:44 AM PDT

Okay that's good to hear. Thx for answering DB. :)

• 328 posts
    May 31, 2017 8:07 AM PDT

B is off the table.
    That's basically forcing users to go from one platform to another and many will just give up.

The ONLY reason I don't play standalone besides the fact that there is no one is because of the Gravity "Improvement" which is in a sense dysfunctional. If you user gravity, it gets harder for your to run, you can't climb up like you could before, jumping is useless as well because it is all connected to stamina. That's the only thing which I don't like.

On the other hand many people play on browsers and that's because it is easy to access from any place (assuming that you are accessing it from a computer). 

You can make Standalone portable but people are too lazy to do so.

Almost every platform has it's downside.

Webgl: Poor performance, good features
    UWP: Decent performance, bad camera drop
    Standalone: Awesomesauce performance, stamina messed up, having to install it.

This post was edited by Zero at June 1, 2017 10:50 AM PDT
  • June 1, 2017 9:45 AM PDT

i writed it and i will write it again , i play in the browser and i get 50-70 fps , i play in the standalone version and the games its like being in slow motion with only getting 30 fps

• 507 posts
    June 1, 2017 11:37 AM PDT
    That's exactly why B is not an option. In an already small community, eliminating some people's only option for playing is a poor plan. It's like shutting down the game again, but only for a few people.

That aside, I really want to know why this problem exists. I would love to do a hardware survey of the community to see exactly what kind of specs this game is played on.
    • 283 posts
    June 1, 2017 2:37 PM PDT
    I'm not 100% sure but as far as I have checked, I think hardware doesn't have much to do with the compatibility of standalone.
    I've checked standalone on my two laptops. The newer one being 3 times stronger than my older one (in terms of specification) I.e intel corei5 with 16 GB ram and some accessory turbo booster with windows 10, while the older one being Intel core 2 with 4 GB ram, and no accessory booster or anything, with windows 8. And surprisingly, both gave almost the same performance i.e 200+ FPS. In conclusion to that, I think it's a bit acceptable that hardware don't have much to do with standalone's compatibility, unless if the hardware is super bad or obsolete.
    I wanna know if Windows version have anything to do with it?
    Oh and just to add on 'why I chose B' is to imply this when the problem of standalone is completely solved. Because (I'm assuming) even if standalone becomes completely perfect, still there will be a need of an impulse to completely shift players from unity to standalone. Besides, sooner or later, when Unity will be removed, option B will automatically imply, because WebGL is hard to nearly unplayable.
    • 2 posts
    September 12, 2019 6:00 PM PDT

DO NOT REMOVE THE WEB VERSION, AS THE GAME WILL BECOME HARDER TO ADVERTISE. THIS WILL ALSO LOWER THE CHANCES PLAYERS WILL CHECK IT OUT, AS THEY DONT FEEL READY TO DOWNLOAD IT.

Probably shouldnt've written that in max size.

This post was edited by FutureOfGaming at September 12, 2019 6:02 PM PDT
    • 60 posts
    September 13, 2019 12:33 AM PDT

It conveys the message. Can we start a patreon page for the game?

Love you Max!

This post was edited by shinchan at September 13, 2019 12:33 AM PDT
  • October 2, 2019 1:32 PM PDT

I downloaded it, definetly better performance.

• October 16, 2019 10:36 AM PDT

It could be a hit or miss.

• 2 posts
    October 16, 2019 5:39 PM PDT

I'd be furious is they forced people to use the standalone version. I understand improved performace and it's a small file and all, however I work as a librarian in a very small town and have a lot of time were we just sit around and do absolutely nothing. However we can't download anything on the work computers here (the computers I'm forced to use all day at the front desk). I understand it seems imformal to be playing a video game at work but we have legitimately nothing better to do after the first hour or two I'm here. If this game went completely download and non webgl then I simply wouldn't be able to play this game anymore :(

• 507 posts
    October 16, 2019 8:21 PM PDT

Y'all know standalone doesn't exist anymore right?

• 610 posts
    October 16, 2019 10:03 PM PDT

Lmao

• October 17, 2019 4:30 AM PDT

Sorry guys, I haven'y played in 2 years.

• 259 posts
    October 17, 2019 5:58 AM PDT
    They probably didn't know and thought it still existed.
  • October 17, 2019 7:01 AM PDT

Matty you used to be rank #1 and a pro mini-g user!

• 100 posts
    November 1, 2020 1:06 AM PST

I didn't even know the game had a standalone version...

This post was edited by MRNOOB at November 1, 2020 1:07 AM PST
    • 507 posts
    November 1, 2020 3:55 PM PST
    It was great
    • 186 posts
    November 1, 2020 6:40 PM PST

Unlike now