Forums » Bugs & Suggestions

Minor suggestion: add target spotting

• 507 posts
    March 7, 2018 10:00 AM PST
    Target spotting:
    Pressing a key, E would be my suggestion, while looking directly at an enemy places a marker above that enemy, visible to all players on the first players team.

Technical:
    When the E key is pressed, cast a ray out from the players camera at the center of the field of view, basically the center of the crosshair. If that ray intersects a player, check to see if which team that target is on. If the target team matches the player, do nothing. If they do not match:
    -Add 1 XP
    -Say something like “enemy spotted! +1XP” in the text log on the right side
    -Create the marker as a child of the Target. Marker could be a colored sprite, or a low poly 3D model.
    -Start a countdown of 30 seconds, after which the marker disappears.

Design justification:
    Adding spotting mechanics increases the value of teamwork and communication, offers a low effort method of earning small amounts of XP over time. Honestly this will only make a significant difference in elimination and competitive modes, but it does help in TDM as well.
    • 609 posts
    March 7, 2018 4:43 PM PST

"-Create the marker as a child of the Target. Marker could be a colored sprite, or a low poly 3D model." wdym by this?

despite liking the idea i just think that almost no one would use it, if they have a clear sight they will take the shot

• 507 posts
    March 7, 2018 4:50 PM PST
    In unity, a child object inherits the transform coordinates of the parent object. So if I set a gun model to be a child if a soldiers hand, it will follow that hand around wherever it goes.

A sprite is a 2d plane that always faces toward the camera. The lightbulb above a players head when they are typing in game is an example of a sprite. Alternately, if a sprite wouldn't work for some reason, you could use a 3D model with a small number of polygons like an upside down pyramid or something instead.

People probably wouldn't in public matches(the exception being snipers who are really far away and hard to kill), but for tournaments it would be absolutely essential to have a clear picture of where your opponents are.
    • 609 posts
    March 7, 2018 5:00 PM PST

if you set a gun to be a child, changing guns (either between 1st and secondary or with the ones on the ground) wouldn't make the marker go away? or is it stablished to what the player bears in his hands and if so, couldnt we set it to the model of the avatar?

i like the idea and totally would like to see more team play and coordination but maybe a gamemode like CTF would allow for more tatics therefore the need for it to appear first

This post was edited by STERBEN99 at March 7, 2018 5:20 PM PST
    • 609 posts
    March 10, 2018 2:25 PM PST

Chrono how about this? its a super basic sketch i made quickly but its basically a quick chat, maybe add some icons instead of the words

• 507 posts
    March 11, 2018 11:30 AM PDT
    If you rotated that graphic 45 degrees clockwise it would make more sense. That way We would actually be "up" on that menu
    • 13 posts
    March 11, 2018 11:37 AM PDT
    Looks a good idea
    This post was edited by Kronovi at March 11, 2018 11:38 AM PDT
    • 609 posts
    March 11, 2018 2:09 PM PDT

chronospectrum said: If you rotated that graphic 45 degrees clockwise it would make more sense. That way We would actually be "up" on that menu

you're right! i'll see what i can do

• 609 posts
    March 21, 2018 12:33 PM PDT

Added a some more sayings

the center button is the targat spot button

Note that fonts, icon, tabs may be changed

my suggestion was if just instead of marking the player on the map with the icon above why note create an outline on him with the colour of his and make him visible not only in the map but also in-game, even through walls for a short period of time.

Doing the same with team members would also be helpfull in my opinion, you could better avaliate their distance, hight and maybe take out the life bar since sometimes can actually block a LOT of vision, i was suggesting just a small outline as well with the name with smaller font size, the dif between this outline and the on in the targat system wouldnt only be colour but also "proximity". team members slowly fades as they get further while enemy outline stays the same

This post was edited by STERBEN99 at March 21, 2018 12:35 PM PDT
    • 14 posts
    April 18, 2018 4:24 PM PDT

chronospectrum said: Target spotting: Pressing a key, E would be my suggestion, while looking directly at an enemy places a marker above that enemy, visible to all players on the first players team. Technical: When the E key is pressed, cast a ray out from the players camera at the center of the field of view, basically the center of the crosshair. If that ray intersects a player, check to see if which team that target is on. If the target team matches the player, do nothing. If they do not match: -Add 1 XP -Say something like “enemy spotted! +1XP” in the text log on the right side -Create the marker as a child of the Target. Marker could be a colored sprite, or a low poly 3D model. -Start a countdown of 30 seconds, after which the marker disappears. Design justification: Adding spotting mechanics increases the value of teamwork and communication, offers a low effort method of earning small amounts of XP over time. Honestly this will only make a significant difference in elimination and competitive modes, but it does help in TDM as well.
    i would say maybe three seconds and somehow decreases yor stanima by lets say 50, and its not unlimited range