Forums » Bugs & Suggestions

Custom Maps

This topic has been closed.
    • 328 posts
    May 17, 2017 5:14 PM PDT

Since Warmerise is getting released on Standalone shouldn't Custom Maps be brought back? It would be great if the Community can create custom maps once again and play on them.

I'm not sure how Custom Maps work behind the scene work but I was wondering how about letting users host their own maps or upload them to some hosting provider instead of uploading them straight to Warmerise servers. An example hosting link would be: https://DomainName.com/Warmerise/CustomMaps/Map.unity3d

public class Foo(string MapURL){
    WWW SomeVar = new WWW(MapURL);}

Not sure if the same can be done in using Unity.UI ? Like "InputField.text MapURL"  or something similar.

Now I know assets bundles aren't global meaning if an asset bundle is uploaded on Standalone, it wouldn't work on WebGl/UWP. (I hope I'm right about this)

Also, I'm not sure if AssetBundles allow custom scripts but if they do can you (Max) create a global class for custom maps so if a user wants to create their own scripts they can call methods from that global class to make it integrate with the game itself. 

Instead of letting users create custom maps like before, can some sort of verfication method be added; By that I mean verified by community itself and if there are any scripts you (Max) can check them to make sure they aren't suspicious or anything. Users will be required to create their own thread for their maps. In that thread for each map they will be required to create a demo video of the whole map so users can know the demographics of the map and if it's playable or not. 

Now I'm not sure if Warmerise Forum has some sort of plugin which allows users to add polls to their post or threads but if there isn't then Map Owner will have to create a new poll asking users if they would like to play on it or not. After 1 week if they map gets at least 90% upvotes then it should be approved by Max and uploaded to the game.

(I know that I explained this VERY poorly. But if anyone needs clarification or has questions please let me know so I can explain it in details)

• 998 posts
    May 17, 2017 9:02 PM PDT

Old custom maps system was flawed, since it used Unity's AssetBundles there was a high chance that updating to new version of Unity would break the compatibility which is not good in a long term.
    Also as you stated, Asset Bundles are platform specific which means maps made for standalone will not work on web.
    New custom map system will need to have it's own custom format for loading new maps (That is not a trivial task to do and may take some time to complete)

• 609 posts
    May 18, 2017 6:31 AM PDT

best of luck