Forums » Off-Topic

SWC's Movie Reviews

• 610 posts
    September 30, 2018 3:25 PM PDT

I should've made this forum a long time ago when I first started posting movie reviews on homepage.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom:

"These creatures were here before us, and if we're not careful...they'll be here after us too."
    ~Ian Malcolm (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom)

I finished watching the movie, so as usual, I'm going to review it. I'll do my best to avoid spoilers to those of you who haven't seen it. However, there WILL be spoilers for Jurassic World

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom is overall a fantastic movie, in my opinion. It takes place three years after the destruction of Jurassic World and the death of the Indominus Rex. However, leaving the Tyrannosaurus Rex free was a mistake as it's on the hunt. A formerly dormant volcano on Isla Nublar has become active again and is threatening to explode. Claire decides she wants to try to save the dinosaurs.

The movie was full of betrayals, reunitions, and quite a few brutal scenes.

What's more is that they brought back the hcaracter Ian Malcolm, a main character from the original first two Jurassic Park movies. It's great to see him back, if older than the last time we saw him.

I enjoyed everything about this movie and have nothing against it. However, if you dislike bloody, brutal scenes, this isn't the movie for you. Also, there's at least a couple of jump scares. (Example: Dinosaurs coming out of nowhere to attack)

Rating from me: 10/10, wish I saw it in theaters!

• 610 posts
    September 30, 2018 5:00 PM PDT

Going to add in some old ones from earlier this year.

Solo: A Star Wars Story:

"Assume everyone will betray you. And you will never be disappointed." ~Tobias Beckett

Yes, I'm obviously a Star Wars fan, but to be honest here, I'm not too fond of Solo: A Star Wars Story. Here's why:

1) The very opening. The movies usually have a long traditional 3 paragraph explanation to get you to the starting moment. Not exactly the case in this movie. Solo sort of broke the tradition. Instead of the paragraphs, a couple sentences appear at a time before disappearing and letting the next screen come up.
    2) The actor of Han, duh! I think if Harrison Ford was younger and starred as Han in this movie, he would've made the movie a lot better. The fans probably would've liked it more- that includes me.

This movie may have a several different actors in replace of the usual, but it doesn't make it absolutely terrible. If anything, it added some more great characters to make up for it.

So, Solo: A Star Wars Story is an action-packed, humorous film full of new alliances and betrayals. This movie covers the meeting of Chewbacca and Han, as well as how the two of them got the Millennium Falcon.
    Also, there's the return of a certain character from the prequels. ;)

The plot is really interesting (and a little confusing), but really clever.

The movie is different, but not horrible.
    7/10 stars from me.

Avengers: Infinity War:

Avengers Infinity War is a great, action-packed and VERY emotional film. Like Thor Ragnarok, there's quite a bit of humor as well.

I thought the movie was pretty amazing and, yes, SHOCKING. I say that you guys should definitely go see it.

Uh...I don't know how to put the rest I think and feel into words. So, guess you'll have to see for yourselves the true power of the movie.

Also, tribute to those who didn't make it in the film. They shall always be remembered. <3

The Maze Runner: The Death Cure:

The Death Cure --> Recommended

An awesome, action-packed, and emotion movie. I'd say it's probably PG-13 or Rated R, Imao. Not giving spoilers, so don't ask.
    Also, I think it's better than The Last Knight and almost as good as The Last Jedi. (Those are two of the three movies I saw last year. 

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

The movie was roughly 2 1/2 hours, but ended up running some errands afterwards. Awesome movie, LOTS of action. Not joking there. 10/10 rating from me. Go see it guys. Guess I'll post a quote for you...and a funny conversation or two.

Funny Scene 1:
    Luke Skywalker: Where are you from?
    Rey: Nowhere.
    Luke Skywalker: Nobody is from nowhere.
    Rey: Jakku. I'm from Jakku.
    Luke Skywalker: [pause] Yeah, that's pretty much nowhere.

Quote:
    "The war is just beginning." -Luke Skywalker to Kylo Ren

Funny Scene 2:
    “Permission to jump in an X-Wing and blow something up?”- Poe
    “Permission granted.”- Leia

• 610 posts
    March 8, 2019 1:34 PM PST

Captain Marvel:

The movie was around an hour and fifty minutes long (not including end credits). Kind of short in my opinion for a Marvel movie, but it was great. Better than great. There was a lot of action and mystery involved in this one.

It was definitely on the futuristic/alien side of things (what do you expect after seeing a talking racoon in Infinity War and the Guardians of the Galaxy films?) and almost reminded me of Star Wars in a way. Lots of space scenes and flying ships/speeders, like those on Coruscant in the Star Wars prequel trilogy. 

Basically, the movie is about a former Air Force pilot who is trying to learn of her past and remember who she was after she loses her memories in a crash six years prior to when the film takes place. (Pretty sure it takes place in the 90's). She finds herself caught in a war between the Kree and shape shifting aliens known as the Skrull. But, she's not normal. She has interesting powers unlike all others. She has to learn to harness and control them as deals with the war and learning of her past.

That's all I'm saying about the plot, as I don't want to give away any spoilers. I will post a Spoiler-free AND a Spoiler review on YouTube, each as seperate videos.

But, I seriously recommend this movie. 10/10 star rating from me.

• 610 posts
    April 30, 2019 9:03 PM PDT

Avengers Endgame:

Avengers Endgame. Something everyone's been waiting for for months. Something that people have spent the last almost whole week trying to avoid spoilers of. That being said, here is a review that does not have spoilers for this movie, but may for the others:

Tragedy. It's how all wars and battles end. Losses and death. Sacrifices. In the original 2012 Avengers film, New York got absolutely wrecked in the process of defending the world. Age of Ultron, Quicksilver saved Clint, only to be killed. In Infinity War, half of all sentient beings being...erased. Avengers Endgame does not spare us of said tragedy.

However, despite the tragedy, a new era of brief peace arises. The villain is almost always defeated. Red skull, sucked up and sent to Vormir by the Tesseract. Hela being left to face Surtur's rather on the planet of Asgard. Tony and Rhodey defeating Ivan. The hero ALMOST always wins. In Infinity War, that didn't happen.

All sacrifices, all tragedies are worth it in the end. Especially when they're for half the universe.

This has to be the best Marvel movie yet, in my opinion. I seriously recommend it. Watch the other Marvel films if you haven't though, this one leans heavily on some of them.