Forums » Custom Maps

Voyager

• 507 posts
    January 13, 2019 3:15 PM PST

Hey guys, chrono here...

When we discovered a derelict asteroid from deep space entering the system, nobody except the astronomers really cared. When we discovered that it was going to intercept area of space filled to the brim with space junk, Command decided to use the opportunity to deposit all that scrap onto the asteroid and let it be carried out of the system forever. When we discovered that Voyager had an immense hollow void in the center, which could not have formed naturally... well that's when things got interesting for the rest of us...

It's been a while since I released a map, but I'm thrilled to finally release Voyager! This project has been in the works for months now. Initially, I had Deathbringer908 do most of the layout for me while I focused on the more macro design work. After several months of not working on this at all, I decided that I wanted to redesign my part of the map using my new Modular Design Kit. I kept most of DBs layout the same, but removed my content and added my ModKit buildings instead. As always, I try to push what custom maps can do, and this time I played a lot with the animation system. I loved the idea of an asteroid spinning out of control as it sped out of the system, so I animated a skybox rig (and a matching lighting rig) to spin at an offset, creating a psuedo day-night cycle. The lighting and terrain create a lot of lag, which is a little dissapointing, so to get a consistent framerate I usually set the quality to "fastest." If you notice that the terrain changes as you get closer/farther from it, that's an optimization thing I had to do to keep the framerate high. If you ever played my old map Terra, this may bring back some memories...

Huge thanks to DB908, his map layout was so good that I ended up building around it in the end.

Thanks for checking Voyager out, if you'd like to:

• Report a bug
    • Report an exploit
    • Give suggestions
    • Give feedback

Please do so below! 

Changelog:

version 1:

-Initial release
    -Size: 3.85 MB

• 74 posts
    January 14, 2019 10:46 AM PST

Nice map, but I found issue with the ladders.

I can go through right ladder without gravity gun and through both with this.

https://vimeo.com/311272991

https://vimeo.com/311277998

If I stand in the right ladder for a long time, I will be killed.

https://vimeo.com/311272917

Could you lower the ladders and add colliders on then and bring them closer to the platform?

Except this everything is OK (unless I omitted something).

• 507 posts
    January 14, 2019 9:15 PM PST

i3slkiller said:

Could you lower the ladders and add colliders on then and bring them closer to the platform?

Yep, I'll push out a patch after work tomorrow. Thanks for the report :)

• 429 posts
    March 10, 2020 8:25 AM PDT
    This map is very well-made. And is fun to play on for a long duration of time. This deserves ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️