Forums » Bugs & Suggestions

Obstacle between you and target/3rd person view exploit

• 609 posts
    July 16, 2018 9:09 PM PDT

Obstacle between you and target

I'm pretty sure that it has happened to you, either using third person view or first, you think that you've got a clean shot on the enemy only to be stoped by a wall or a fence, which even tho doesn't look like so is blocking your way, and it's annoying right?

my suggestion: add a system that lets you know if any 3d model is standing in between you and your crosshair dot and showing a warning sine like below

mainly on the 1st one (the one in TPV) you would think you'd hit a target right? well, actually no, however by displaying that icon (the cross) you get to know that something is standing in your shot's way

3rd person view exploit soluttion

removed

This post was edited by STERBEN99 at August 21, 2018 6:08 AM PDT
    • 328 posts
    July 18, 2018 6:53 PM PDT

I've experienced it so many times. I'd be shooting just to realize I'm hitting not the player but the fence. Another thing I noticed is that the crosshair is a sprite centered in the middle of the screen, not sure if it's linked to the weapon itself, that might be another explanation for why the coordination isn't correct.

• 609 posts
    July 18, 2018 6:57 PM PDT

Zero said:

I've experienced it so many times. I'd be shooting just to realize I'm hitting not the player but the fence. Another thing I noticed is that the crosshair is a sprite centered in the middle of the screen, not sure if it's linked to the weapon itself, that might be another explanation for why the coordination isn't correct.

precisely! and while its just a matter of seconds to realize it, you've spent ammo, time, sometimes the element of surprise and to top all it youv'e prob taken some damage! so you go from having the upperhand to be in a disaadvantage

Neap has pointed out that too, still no fix for what i've seen

This post was edited by STERBEN99 at July 18, 2018 6:59 PM PDT
    • 507 posts
    July 18, 2018 7:32 PM PDT

So I looked at the profile of the guy who made the "destiny ghost" thing you linked and he also made this:

Need I say more, really?

• 609 posts
    July 18, 2018 7:49 PM PDT

you mean as a replacer or a new shotgun? to me this is still my bae, dunno if it's just some nostalgic filter

• 998 posts
    July 18, 2018 7:51 PM PDT

The first suggestion I believe will be useful for the players, will consider adding it in the next update.
    About your second suggestion (even though it's removed now). It would require a visibility checks between your player and enemy players to determine whether to show the eye icon.
    And visibility checkes are usually done using Raycasting which have a high performance overhead. So it's unlikely to be implemented.

• 507 posts
    July 18, 2018 7:55 PM PDT

Max said:

And visibility checkes are usually done using Raycasting which have a high performance overhead. So it's unlikely to be implemented.

Question! Is the first crosshair suggestion not done through raycasting as well? 

• 39 posts
    July 18, 2018 7:57 PM PDT

STERBEN99 said:

you mean as a replacer or a new shotgun? to me this is still my bae, dunno if it's just some nostalgic filter

It would be great if we had more shotguns in Warmerise.
    Also got a massive blast of nostalgia from this pic.

This post was edited by hepokot at July 18, 2018 8:08 PM PDT
    • 998 posts
    July 18, 2018 8:15 PM PDT

chronospectrum said:

Max said:

Question! Is the first crosshair suggestion not done through raycasting as well? 

Yes the crosshair is done using Raycasting (there is no other way to do it).
    But that's just one single raycast casted from the firing point towards the point in the middle of the screen.

For visibility checks between you and the other players you would need to cast atleast 8 Raycasts per players (Because the player model is encapsulated in bounding box which has 8 corners).

• 609 posts
    July 18, 2018 8:22 PM PDT

@Max

so, a simple solution or atleast smth to deminish the view advantage of TPV i came up with is this suggestion

place the 3d model more centered, and deminsh the zoom out, by closing in to the model you deminish the periferal view, but still maintaining a resonable, atleast meant to be equal/close, field of fiew to the FPV, ofc some ppl would complain a lil but that always happens even with the slightest thing so...

i made this sketch its (hopefully) to scale when compared to the game screen and might give a clearer idea of what im trying to express

@hepokot more guns is always cool but personally i think (and since Max is replying in here he should know better) more weapons ain't a priority right now, so lets just give it time (but a +1 from me to you tho)

This post was edited by STERBEN99 at July 19, 2018 11:38 AM PDT