Forums » General

How to create a successful tournament in Warmerise

• 283 posts
    April 24, 2020 9:37 AM PDT

HOW TO CREATE A SUCCESSFUL TOURNAMENT IN WARMERISE

Creating a tournament on Warmerise is not limited to, or associated to any particular crew or group. Anyone with the will and dedication to execute a successful tournament can create one. I’ll try to summarize nearly everything I think is important to be done or taken in consideration while creating a tournament, to ensure least chances of failure.

Here’s a list of things you need to have or consider having, before you make your tournament official.

1)      A dedicated and capable crew of members with clean and non-controversial history

2)      A pre-planned sketch of the entire tournament (estimated participants, game mode, etc)

3)      A well elaborated thread of the tournament

A: Essential members of crew and their roles

You need to have members that will divide different responsibilities and take up different roles in order to carry out all the functions of the tournament. The necessary responsibilities and roles to be carried out by different members of the crew are as followed:

1)      A member who knows his/her way around time zones and their conversion and has the ability to communicate well with the participants to finalize times of the matches.

2)      A member who is punctual and informs players before their match and also inform moderators/organizers about the times and provide information about the server(server region, map, server name and password, etc)

3)      A member who can stream/live broadcast the matches

Note: For these three roles, it is essential that there is one person for each, not more than one, and a single person do not take up more than one role from the above, to avoid overburdening or intermingling.

However, to moderate and commentate the matches, there can be more than one person at a time or at all times. And the members performing the 3 roles mentioned above can also moderate and commentate.

B: A pre-planned sketch of the tournament should contain

Before you go talk to the developer to create the event page, you need to create a sketch of the basic things in the tournament, which are as followed:

1)      Game mode for the tournament matches (TDM, Ball mode, elimination, Nuke elimination)

2)      Mode of tournament (1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, clash of clans, etc)

3)      Number of estimated and expected participants

4)      An estimate on prize distribution and required prize pool

5)      The date for start of application procedure, start of matches, and end of tournament (est)

C: A well elaborated thread that contains:

1)      Procedure of Matches: How the matches will occur, how will the victory be determined (best of 3 or by summing up scores from 2 rounds, or sudden death in single match). This section of the thread should include every detail about how a match will start and how will it end.

2)      Rules: This section of thread is the most significant one. It contains all the restrictions, boundaries and instructions that are essential to be complied and adhered to or otherwise pose chances of disqualification. It should also include which weapons are allowed and which maps are available.

3)      Prizes: This section of thread includes the prize distribution method and an estimate of how much the participants will get upon advancing or winning the tournament (1st, 2nd and 3rd place)

4)      Application Procedure: This section of thread includes the process that players need to follow in order to participate in the tournament. It must include the criteria through which the list of participants will be drafted from all the applicants.

It seems a lot to do to prepare for the tournament but once you are done with this part, and the event page is set up, things starts to ease up, depending on how good your crew is, and how well organized your tournament is planned to be. After the tournament is started, you just need to comply and ensure that the instructions of thread created for the tournament is being followed correctly.

Important notices:

1)      Avoid Changing rules after they are announced: Even though it is allowed to change, add, or remove a certain or couple rules, but avoid doing it as much as possible, because it is difficult to inform every participant about the change and it is also hard for the participants to comply with the rule, as most of the participants applied, keeping in mind those rules, and any change in it can make them change their mind and they might drop out.

2)      Do not change criteria once it’s announced or used: While drafting participants from the list of applicants, do not change the criteria for it. People who couldn’t make it in the tournament might make a deal out of it and defame the tournament. Avoid giving them any excuse to complain about the tournament in public.

This post was edited by DeathBringer908 at April 24, 2020 9:49 AM PDT
    • 507 posts
    April 24, 2020 12:20 PM PDT
    I cannot stress enough how important it is to have those three key people. In previous events, I've done match scheduling and streaming. Doing one or the other was fine, but trying to reschedule people while also trying to stream a match meant that I wasn't focused on the game and I was spectating a dead player without realizing.

Get dedicated people, and make sure they have one task.
    This post was edited by chronospectrum at April 24, 2020 12:20 PM PDT
    • 452 posts
    April 24, 2020 1:32 PM PDT
    I must ask - how important do you think the streaming really is? I mean, no disrespect I'm sure it is useful to rate a score, cheating or foul points, yet if there is someone inspecting I don't see why it is 100% necessary. Might make the event a little easier, even if it not as "fancy" *shrug*
    • 452 posts
    April 24, 2020 1:35 PM PDT
    Otherwise then my concern posted above, I'd comment this is very well writer and thought. I did not participate in any event yet, but with these guidelines I really am expecting seeing more, and seeing serious and fun events. Good job deathy ❤️
    • 283 posts
    April 24, 2020 2:52 PM PDT

chronospectrum said: I cannot stress enough how important it is to have those three key people. In previous events, I've done match scheduling and streaming. Doing one or the other was fine, but trying to reschedule people while also trying to stream a match meant that I wasn't focused on the game and I was spectating a dead player without realizing. Get dedicated people, and make sure they have one task.
    I suppose you are the only one who had to struggle between these two tasks, but you still pulled it off, not just once. But I can understand how stressful it would've been. That's why I seperated these two roles and we'll try that you won't have to do it again xd 

SirAws said: I must ask - how important do you think the streaming really is? I mean, no disrespect I'm sure it is useful to rate a score, cheating or foul points, yet if there is someone inspecting I don't see why it is 100% necessary. Might make the event a little easier, even if it not as "fancy" *shrug*
    I think it is important. A tournament isn't just for the players who are taking part in it, it is for the general public too so that they can enjoy something different happening in the community. And also, it boosts the motivation of players and creates a hype. So I would say it is important. Streaming isn't so difficult for someone who knows how to do it, but it becomes difficult when you have to do the communication between players, send messages, inform players, etc while doing the live stream. 

SirAws said: Otherwise then my concern posted above, I'd comment this is very well writer and thought. I did not participate in any event yet, but with these guidelines I really am expecting seeing more, and seeing serious and fun events. Good job deathy ❤️
    Thanks Awsy! I really appreciate it. And yes, I hope we won't have to see any failed tournament again. 

• 609 posts
    April 25, 2020 8:00 AM PDT

SirAws said: I must ask - how important do you think the streaming really is? I mean, no disrespect I'm sure it is useful to rate a score, cheating or foul points, yet if there is someone inspecting I don't see why it is 100% necessary. Might make the event a little easier, even if it not as "fancy" *shrug*

This is where I kinda disagree with DB

It really depends on what is your tournament's aim, our format (F5's) usually has in mind the 'Show aspect' therefore streaming is vital, but lets say you're making something smaller and less focused on advertising and public attention, then streaming is necessary. I'd classify it as a usefull comodity, not necessary but awesome to have. The variation can also happen inside an event, e.g. a semi-final is more important to stream than a '32 round', so if you have to direct your resources and attention to one of them, you should go with the most important ones, so the same applies to lets say Organization vs Streaming, Organization is more important.

You might not 'need' a streamer but I always advice recording for the reasons you've specified above, keep track of the score, visual evidence in case of cheating etc etc

• 507 posts
    April 25, 2020 12:33 PM PDT
    Streaming, for me, is a part of the fun of the event. Everyone loves to cheer on their favorites, we get to interact with the chat between matches, and I think it makes the event a lot more personal when you're watching it live.

Maybe it isn't necessary to a functional event, but I can't imagine not doing it. At least not for the last few rounds of an event.
    • 283 posts
    April 25, 2020 3:45 PM PDT
    To me, streaming is an essence of tournament. It's true that a tournament can happen without being streamed but it won't be as much fun and entertaining then. And one of the major objective of these tournaments, other than promoting competition is entertainment.
    Recording every match is essential in case of hacking or to report any incident.
    • 609 posts
    April 26, 2020 8:33 AM PDT

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't do without it as well

but a smaller team trying to oganize their own thing for a first shouldn't be (atleast imo) their priority

• 1 posts
    May 5, 2020 12:15 AM PDT

? Will this game hold a tournament

• 429 posts
    May 5, 2020 5:15 AM PDT

cherif100 said:

? Will this game hold a tournament

This game has had many.