Forums » General

Warmerise open source?

• May 20, 2022 6:24 PM PDT

It would be cool to see the source code, and it could be a learning example for future programmers

• 46 posts
    May 20, 2022 8:13 PM PDT

It is easy to see the code of projects in this case unity, I do not think it is convenient for the developer to have the code of the game open since this would increase the creation of hacks and traps in it.

I'll give you an example, this game I'm developing, has an account system implemented just like Warmerise, if I make it open source,
    any user with minimal knowledge could play with my account from the Unity editor running the game.
    In other words, it is not worth making a game that has a lot of user data management, and that is played a lot, open source.

This post was edited by DaveSD at May 20, 2022 8:13 PM PDT
    • 102 posts
    May 21, 2022 3:28 AM PDT

DaveSD said:

It is easy to see the code of projects in this case unity, I do not think it is convenient for the developer to have the code of the game open since this would increase the creation of hacks and traps in it.

I'll give you an example, this game I'm developing, has an account system implemented just like Warmerise, if I make it open source,
    any user with minimal knowledge could play with my account from the Unity editor running the game.
    In other words, it is not worth making a game that has a lot of user data management, and that is played a lot, open source.

You are wrong at some point. Sharing game code wont make hacks easy. You can always share your project code in platforms like github and if something is critical you can always cut it off. 

In this case if we consider Warmerise as open source the developer can share its game content such as assets (player models, skins etc) and can show implemantion on github, registration part is not necessary he is not have to show it or can use hidden files for that or can inform you like this: "This code has link with registered accounts". so you can easly understand that line. 

I honestly liked author's idea an example open source repository would be cool for people interested in game programming and of course there is lots of examples on internet but it would be nice to see projects done by an experienced person like Max.

• 46 posts
    May 21, 2022 6:14 AM PDT

Kalamar said:

DaveSD said:

You are wrong at some point. Sharing game code wont make hacks easy. You can always share your project code in platforms like github and if something is critical you can always cut it off. 

In this case if we consider Warmerise as open source the developer can share its game content such as assets (player models, skins etc) and can show implemantion on github, registration part is not necessary he is not have to show it or can use hidden files for that or can inform you like this: "This code has link with registered accounts". so you can easly understand that line. 

I honestly liked author's idea an example open source repository would be cool for people interested in game programming and of course there is lots of examples on internet but it would be nice to see projects done by an experienced person like Max.

1. Normally, developers share small projects or base projects on Github that can be used by other developers, but never active projects as is the case with Warmerise, believe me that by having at least one class of a project you can already create cheats or hacks, and the creation becomes even simpler since you do not have to go through the intermediate processes for the modification and verification of the code because you would already have the source code.

2. For the account system in some games web services are used which return the user information to the game, this is an intermediary between the game and the web, so that is what I was referring to since the user registration does not have absolutely nothing to do with the game if not with the web, therefore you did not understand what I tried to say xD.

3. The assets are already available to the public, these resources are downloaded through the game when they are going to be used, it is easy to see them and obtain them, I will not say the way because if I do not get banned HAHAHA, but with the assets and without coding by means we would not be obtaining an open source game, but only its resources.

• 2098 posts
    May 21, 2022 9:05 AM PDT
    So you stole game files?
    • 46 posts
    May 22, 2022 2:27 PM PDT

Reaver said: So you stole game files?

No, normally the assets are not very useful, but the codes are useful to give you an idea of ​​something you want to do, of course this would be in extreme cases xD which is not usually the case.

• 144 posts
    May 24, 2022 3:31 PM PDT

Actually, open source projects will have less vulnerbilities, because good people can take a look at source code, and find potential hocks/bug exploits. 

Btw this is what Google does for their source code. 

• 102 posts
    May 24, 2022 10:07 PM PDT

Yeah thats true. If Max decides to re-write entire game or make sub projects on Warmerise it can be really cool idea.

@DaveSD

Active projects or not, every project can be shared its just depend on developer's or employers. But in case you are also right as far as i know Max is solo developer and it seems he can't have enough time for that.  Honestly i would like to see Max's activity on platforms like medium, patreon etc.

Well, client-side games very easy to hack but games that hosted on a server not that easy. But still everything is possible and every software can be hacked. In fact i know a lot things about hacking, achiving goals in an algorithm etc but don't have any implementation. It seems you have experience.

About asset part yeah when you launch game, in each request your browser stores game data and there are some certain endpoints for some assets i.e weapon icons, map icons skins etc. 

The game you developing is similar to a game called Nplay. How long have you been developing your project? 

• 46 posts
    May 25, 2022 9:38 AM PDT

Kalamar said:

Yeah thats true. If Max decides to re-write entire game or make sub projects on Warmerise it can be really cool idea.

@DaveSD

Active projects or not, every project can be shared its just depend on developer's or employers. But in case you are also right as far as i know Max is solo developer and it seems he can't have enough time for that.  Honestly i would like to see Max's activity on platforms like medium, patreon etc.

Well, client-side games very easy to hack but games that hosted on a server not that easy. But still everything is possible and every software can be hacked. In fact i know a lot things about hacking, achiving goals in an algorithm etc but don't have any implementation. It seems you have experience.

About asset part yeah when you launch game, in each request your browser stores game data and there are some certain endpoints for some assets i.e weapon icons, map icons skins etc. 

The game you developing is similar to a game called Nplay. How long have you been developing your project? 

In general, the extraction of these Assets is easy, for example the extraction of Warmerise maps is very simple but due to their low quality I will not even try to extract them xD, on the other hand, it is not convenient for us indie developers that our projects indie are open source, the only thing this does is that the process of extracting game data such as source code or assets is within reach and I disagree with that.

On the other hand, so the game I'm developing is similar to an NPlay game, and I've been developing it for about 3-4 months. I recently implemented the third person xd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBdJyH0-EIw

• 102 posts
    May 26, 2022 10:26 AM PDT

DaveSD said:

Kalamar said:

@DaveSD

In general, the extraction of these Assets is easy, for example the extraction of Warmerise maps is very simple but due to their low quality I will not even try to extract them xD, on the other hand, it is not convenient for us indie developers that our projects indie are open source, the only thing this does is that the process of extracting game data such as source code or assets is within reach and I disagree with that.

On the other hand, so the game I'm developing is similar to an NPlay game, and I've been developing it for about 3-4 months. I recently implemented the third person xd.

Can't see link the video is hidden

• 46 posts
    May 26, 2022 7:15 PM PDT

Kalamar said:

DaveSD said:

Kalamar said:

@DaveSD

Can't see link the video is hidden

ok check again xD