Forums » Custom Maps

Light Probes

• 998 posts
    June 7, 2022 5:55 PM PDT

The Light Probe support has been added to the export package starting from version 1.0.4 and the game version starting from 2.6.9.

Light Probes are used in conjunction with Light maps for storing real-time lighting data which is then used by the dynamic elements (players, vehicles, etc.).

Pros of using Light Probes:

- Improves performance (due to not having to use real-time lights)

- More consistent look, combined with the light maps (maps could be made to look similar to the official maps)

Cons:

- Initial setup could be a bit tedious

How to setup:

1. Follow the steps for preparing the Scene for baked light maps (but do not generate lighting yet, only do it after the Light Probes are placed): https://warmerise.com/forums/topic/2238/baking-lightmaps

2. See the rest of the steps and example placement in this video: https://youtu.be/1cg5UdHyia0

This post was edited by Admin at October 17, 2022 4:29 PM PDT
  • June 7, 2022 6:49 PM PDT

So, is there going to be any gameplay fixes/new things in-game for the next update? I'm looking forward to more additional, weapons, and better animations. Possibly jetpacks, tanks and mechs. Hope the new update is good.

• 93 posts
    June 9, 2022 4:51 PM PDT

Yay, finally!

• June 10, 2022 6:17 PM PDT

Seems too cunfusing for me

• 73 posts
    June 11, 2022 6:08 AM PDT

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/magic-light-probes-157812#publisher

I guess it is ok to place light probes? 

• 998 posts
    June 11, 2022 7:37 AM PDT
    Beethoven said:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/magic-light-probes-157812#publisher

I guess it is ok to place light probes? 

If it uses a Light Probe Group component (which it likely does) then it should work ok.
    • 73 posts
    June 11, 2022 9:58 PM PDT

Do l have to use baked light?

• 998 posts
    June 12, 2022 2:28 AM PDT
    Beethoven said:

Do l have to use baked light?

Since you also need to bake Light maps after the Light Probes are placed, the lights need to be set to Baked.
    • 73 posts
    June 12, 2022 4:04 AM PDT

Uh, it doesn't work   

l wonder if l made a mistake in the following images.

l have followed what you said, which is to set them to baked light

And it is the light probe group, l haven't created the light probe to surround whole the map yet, and l didn't use the magic probe thing, because l am not getting used in it 

Baked lightmapper setting Environment

Should l switch it to light probes?

• 93 posts
    June 12, 2022 9:03 AM PDT

Can't seem to get it to work either...

@Beethoven For your static level geometry, 'Receive Global Illumination' should be set to 'Lightmaps'. Light Probes are only meant for dynamic/moving/non-static objects (like characters, humvees and jets, doors) because those can't be lightmapped. They'll need to get the correct lighting information through probes instead.

This post was edited by DeadArt at June 12, 2022 11:36 AM PDT
    • 73 posts
    June 12, 2022 9:31 AM PDT

How about inside building?

P.S nvm

This post was edited by Beethoven at June 13, 2022 1:26 AM PDT
    • 998 posts
    June 12, 2022 3:42 PM PDT
    You tried it in the testing version, correct? Upload the map file to Google drive and send me the link (make sure to make it public), I'll check it on my end.
    • 998 posts
    June 12, 2022 4:59 PM PDT

Try setting Mixed Lighting to 'Subtractive'. Looks like LightmapSoftShadows preset has it set to the wrong type. (If you previously baked with Shadowmask, but then changed to Subtractive, you need to clear the old Lightmap before generating again).

@Beethoven No need to change any settings in MeshRenderer, just set up the Lightmap, place Light Probes, then generate.

This post was edited by Admin at June 12, 2022 5:04 PM PDT
    • 93 posts
    June 22, 2022 10:35 PM PDT

I just can't get Light Probes to work and I don't know why...

For testing purposes, I made this corridor. It has emissive white bars on the bottom sides and a yellow emissive bar on the wall:

When baked, it looks like this:

I've then put a Light Probe Group and re-baked it - result:

You can see that the Light Probes are working correctly - in-editor view:

The result in-game, however, is rather disappointing. The sphere is plain grey and the yellow light isn't reflected on it:

(In case you're wondering why the light bars suddenly went grey as well: These are actually Bakery Light Meshes that use a special shader Warmerise doesn't support, so they're using Unity's default one. Also, no idea why maps tend to get darker in-game o.o)

Do I use too many Light Probes? But even if I reduce them, it still won't work!
    Do I use them incorrectly?

FWIW: Unity 2021.3.0f1. Using Bakery Lightmapper for lightmap baking, but I've also tested it with Unity's own Lightmapper and I get the same result. Also, tried using pure emissive materials on meshes - still no luck.

This post was edited by DeadArt at June 23, 2022 3:15 AM PDT
    • 998 posts
    June 23, 2022 9:35 AM PDT
    @DeadArt Have you tried the tip at the end of the post? "If everything was set up correctly but Light Probes do not work after importing, try clearing Lighting data (by clicking down arrow near "Generate Lighting" -> "Clear Baked Data" in the Lighting window), then generate lighting data again."

P.S. The map probably get darker because you use Standard shader in Unity, which by itself adds some light, but is not supported in the game.

Only way the quality will match between Unity and the game is if you use supported shaders on every material (Legacy Shaders/Diffuse is the main shader that is used in official maps)
    This post was edited by Admin at June 23, 2022 9:40 AM PDT
    • 93 posts
    June 23, 2022 11:37 PM PDT

Yeah, I've seen the tip at the end about "Clear Baked Data", but... even doing that, it still won't work :(

I'll keep experimenting, though!

Been using the Legacy shader, though o.o Again, will keep experimenting. One thing I should mention: I'm using Linear instead of Gamma color space - does that, maybe, affect the map brightness?

• 998 posts
    June 24, 2022 3:38 AM PDT
    Try this, create a new Scene, create a new plane, set its position to (0, 0, 0), size to (10, 1, 10) then create a new Light Probe Group, don't edit it, and set its position to (0, 0, 0) and lastly create _AllPoints and move it to (0, 0, 0), assign LightmapSoftShadows to Lighting Settings and Generate Lighting, try exporting that new scene and see if it works. (This worked for Beethoven, after that I suggested to copy all the Lighting settings to the main map, but he hasn't replied whether it worked).

The game uses Gamma space, so when you use Linear, it has no effect, just to make sure it doesn't cause issues, try switching to Gamma.
    • 73 posts
    June 24, 2022 9:11 PM PDT

it worked, but l haven't tried to put around the entire map yet, since l am busy as l will have exams at my school soon 

• 93 posts
    August 23, 2022 5:59 PM PDT

Apologies for the late response. I was quite busy as well.

@Max So far, I've tested everything I could think of and yet it still won't work correctly. In the editor, everything works as expected. Stuff like the hallway, the Light Probe Group and the _AllPoints are at position (0, 0, 0).

Something odd: If I place an emissive light (e.g. a red one) at the end of that dark area of the tunnel and it illuminates the surroundings, all non-static objects - like the player, the armory, etc - are lit red as well. As if the only place light probes work correctly are at that specific point (around X: 12 | Y: 2 | Z: 0) and all light probes get influenced from that area only.

@Beethoven Have you had more luck?

• 73 posts
    August 24, 2022 2:01 AM PDT

I have already published a light probe map if it works. 

And also, l find the default light probe group is the only one that will work properly, if you add new points and expand the range, it is not working then.