Forums » Custom Maps

Dockyard version 2

• 13 posts
    December 6, 2022 5:11 AM PST

hello all
    Thanks to everyone who played the first version
    and for valuable feedback from the play testing crew.

In version 2:
    + added a skybox
    + shifted Blue spawn points to change spawn killing corridor
    + moved the aircon unit down to create wall jump from window to bridge

It looks quite different now.

This post was edited by RookToE4 at December 6, 2022 5:14 AM PST
    • 13 posts
    December 6, 2022 5:12 AM PST

Still couln't get the lightprobes to work inside the containers, if anyone has any tips I would appreciate it : )

• 93 posts
    December 6, 2022 6:21 AM PST

To be honest, I - too - still don't fully understand light probes either. I have three similar lit up containers and only in one the player char picks up the lighting correctly. It looks/works correctly in the Editor, so... huh?

My setup is basically like this:

• 998 posts
    December 6, 2022 7:30 AM PST
    The game uses a custom Light Probe algorithm which is less precise compared to Unity's built-in one.
    But I think it might be possible to use the built-in one, will need to test it.
    • 93 posts
    December 6, 2022 7:58 AM PST

Max said: The game uses a custom Light Probe algorithm which is less precise compared to Unity's built-in one. But I think it might be possible to use the built-in one, will need to test it.

Ahh, that explains a lot! And I thought I'm going mental... Yeah, please consider using the built-in one if possible - it'd be less confusing :)

@RookToE4 You might want to put invisible walls around the map. Otherwise, once you fall down at certain places (e.g. behind the roof of the big warehouse), you're trapped and have to jump off to kill yourself.

• 13 posts
    December 6, 2022 9:46 PM PST
    Ahh, that explains a lot! And I thought I'm going mental...

haha @DeadArt I'm with you; I have a similar setup with the double-wall of probes which works in editor but not in-game. I even tried putting some probes beneath ground level in some areas. I'll keep at it to see how it can work within the custom algorithm: performance and optimisation is key after all.

I did find this resource literally yesterday, not sure how deep into this stuff you are but there is some helpful reading here.

You're right about the invisible walls, its a bit of a pain otherwise.

• 13 posts
    December 7, 2022 10:26 AM PST

- I put in the invisible walls @DeadArt good call.
    - and destructible windows!
    - still not getting the look I want with the lightprobes, may simply work around it completely. so it goes

v3 is pending, going to pause work on this one to work on updating lightmapping in my other maps that have so kindly been accepted

This post was edited by RookToE4 at December 7, 2022 10:29 AM PST
    • 652 posts
    December 13, 2022 6:03 AM PST

Also can you remove the ladders that lead to the upper level of the map, like the warehouse roofs and the towers in the side and the middle. Speaking from my experience with this map, too many people were just sitting there sniping others and it's getting sorta annoying

• 2098 posts
    December 13, 2022 6:13 AM PST
    I believe there’s a spawnpoint up there. It would be then impossible to get up there without gravity gun.
    • 652 posts
    December 13, 2022 8:19 AM PST

Maybe remove the upper spawnpoint and replace it by adding another spawnpoint in another part of the warehouse

• 507 posts
    December 13, 2022 1:17 PM PST

Isterio said:

Maybe remove the upper spawnpoint and replace it by adding another spawnpoint in another part of the warehouse

That's how the map used to be, it left blue team trapped in there, red team had a clear advantage.

• 13 posts
    December 14, 2022 3:03 AM PST

hi guys thanks for taking the time to post.

If the long ladder gets cut off below the blue line, players will be forced to go under the road and climb up that way to get roof access. This would give advantage to Red and so limit how many Blue players are on that roof. - so I think that will help there

I think I agree with @Isterio the Blue spawn point should move, I just don't know where.
    The other two inside the warehouse are visible in the image. Of these two options which do you guys think will work better?

• 507 posts
    December 14, 2022 3:10 AM PST

What about on top of the bridge, next to the ladder? Just north of option 1. It's "protected" because of the height advantage and the large wall next to it, and it allows blue players to choose the roof (for sniping), down a level to the right, by the other ladder, or go along the bridge and shoot towards the center.

Option 2 feels like it should be a red spawn point, if anything.

• 652 posts
    December 14, 2022 3:11 AM PST

Well what I am trying to say was to completely cut off all connections to the upper level of this map. I'm not biased or anything but if you play the map on a random public lobby, you will see half of the server just sitting up there sniping people and abusing the upper ground you know what I mean?

• 507 posts
    December 14, 2022 3:12 AM PST

Isterio said:

Well what I am trying to say was to completely cut off all connections to the upper level of this map. I'm not biased or anything but if you play the map on a random public lobby, you will see half of the server just sitting up there sniping people and abusing the upper ground you know what I mean?

People are going to get up there with the gravity anyway tbh

• 652 posts
    December 14, 2022 3:17 AM PST

Place an invisible barrier that prevents them from getting through? Like that ripoff map called Nuke Town. You see there are barriers on top of the buildings (though visible). From my experience in CYCLONES I personally think invisible barriers do exist.

*Eye sickness warning*

• 507 posts
    December 14, 2022 3:20 AM PST

No joke, that is a million times better than my drawing skills haha!

• 652 posts
    December 14, 2022 3:21 AM PST

xD

• 13 posts
    December 14, 2022 3:44 AM PST

love it.

My thinking was to keep grav users happy by allowing that open access, but also make it accessible to noobs like me through ladders.
    Maybe if the ladders are way more challenging/exposed like in those smaller sniping levels?
    It's cool if its difficult to get to the roofs, like you've earned yourself a sniping position but I know what you mean about too much traffic up there. 

@chronospectrum for the spawn point I think that sounds right actually.

• 93 posts
    December 19, 2022 10:16 PM PST

FYI: You can still get stuck and trap yourself in this very corner:

(Image taken from your post)

Try to put the invisible walls like this (i.e. following around corners):

You will get the idea :)

Nice map overall.

• 13 posts
    December 20, 2022 3:20 AM PST

woah, my play-testing is obviously terrible.

Thanks for picking that up @DeadArt -I'll publish an update when I get some time this december

• 954 posts
    January 1, 2023 4:35 PM PST

Max said: The game uses a custom Light Probe algorithm which is less precise compared to Unity's built-in one. But I think it might be possible to use the built-in one, will need to test it.
    idk what lightprobes even are lol

• 93 posts
    January 2, 2023 1:48 PM PST

Spacetrooper said:

idk what lightprobes even are lol

They store lighting information, so that dynamic/moving objects (like the player model) get correctly lit.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightProbes.html