Forums » General

Warmerise on Steam

• 507 posts
    May 4, 2023 11:59 PM PDT
    Hello everyone,
    I've noticed that some players have recently started advocating for the game to be put on Steam in order to attract more players. While I understand the desire to increase the game's visibility, I believe that putting Warmerise on Steam *right now* would not be a good idea. Here are my two main reasons:

Firstly, Warmerise was designed to be played in the browser. The game was built to be accessible to anyone with an internet connection and a browser, and it doesn't require players to download anything or install any software. This makes it easy for anyone to jump in and play, which is one of the game's strengths, and a huge part of what makes it unique. To be clear, this is absolutely something that could change with time. Having web/downloadable cross play would be great. However, the compromises required to get Warmerise working in a browser are directly incompatible with the changes needed to make the game attractive on steam.

This is my second point: the game doesn't look good enough to compete with other games on the Steam store. While the gameplay itself is enjoyable (usually), the graphics are not up to par with other games on Steam. This would make it difficult for the game to stand out and attract players. It is my opinion that the game would need a massive visual overhaul to be competitive on Steam, which would require a lot of time and resources that Max may not have.

While it's possible that the game could benefit from being on the platform in terms of exposure, this would come at the cost of either sacrificing some of the game's identity and/or a tremendous amount of work. Additionally, the game's current graphics and visual design would make it difficult for the game to compete with other games on Steam, and trying to do so would require a significant investment of time and resources. Instead of putting the game on Steam, I believe that Max should focus on other ways to increase the game's visibility, such as more interesting gameplay mechanics or reward systems that organically cause players to share the game with their friends.
  • Eve
    • 317 posts
    May 5, 2023 5:34 AM PDT

The problems we have is WebGL is just bad, it's been causing ping and performance issues forever, input is chonky and sluggish adnd mouse input is even worse now that for some reason Max can't go back to the old system. Max said that Standalone would make the game too unfair in terms of performance, the issue is 90% of the players already get 60/144 fps consistently due to having decent to good hardware while laptop players like myself get as low as 20 fps and horrendous input feel. Which standalone would immediately solve and that's why I root for standalone so hard. Other than that, yes, you're entirely right that getting the game on Steam won't make a million people play it.

I just want the game to be fixed, the bugs, stupid quirks that shouldn't be possible yet they are. But the biggest boundary is farmers instantly disagree and Max ignores. I know I cannot have the game my way and my way only, but it also can't be as scummy as it is now. And by that I mean players just running past you and dropping mines on your face then running away, and pulling up the shield doesnt prevent any damage, or just abusing shield pulling it up every 2 seconds. And that's just naming 2 out of the MANY that there are... I don't want to seem rude in any way but Max does not play to the extent we play, he might play test a lot but he misses the small details. Which is what I'm trying to get him to pay attention to, only to get ingored... 

@Max man I know you're busy but at least tell me that you'll listen so I can make a long list of all the issues, and explain why they are bad and should be fixed.

• 507 posts
    May 5, 2023 7:20 AM PDT

Eve said:

The problems we have is WebGL is just bad

This is a big part of what I'm talking about with my second point. By having a downloadable game you don't have to downgrade the game just to make it run. That means its now directly competing with other free games that look substantially better, and it would take a ton of work to bring the game up to the standards set by those games. It's why people trash mobile games that get a port to PC.

Eve said:

that's why I root for standalone so hard.

I would also like to see it as part of a bigger effort, but it annoys me when people just assume that this is the only thing that the game needs right now lol

Eve said:

@Max man I know you're busy but at least tell me that you'll listen so I can make a long list of all the issues, and explain why they are bad and should be fixed.

I've been here for a long time so I can say with certainty that max reads basically everything. That said, more communication would be much appreciated ;)

• Eve
    • 317 posts
    May 5, 2023 10:30 AM PDT

Yes, it is a huge effort to maintain 2 versions of the same game, although arguably all Standalone would need is content updates and network optimizations, not like it will ever need performance optimizations since it would run at 100+ FPS even on a pc that can't run old minecraft lol.

And yes, I really want a way to speak directly with Max in real time, preferably a private server, so he can really see the problems for himself to better understand out perspective.

• 105 posts
    May 5, 2023 10:33 AM PDT

Eve said:

so he can really see the problems for himself to better understand out perspective.

That is what we really need.

• 998 posts
    May 5, 2023 11:05 AM PDT
    I would rather make a new game, that would cater towards that specific platform (Standalone in this case). Warmerise was catered towards browser gaming, therefore, simply releasing it on a different platform is not enough.
    With that being said, I would like one day to create a really big project, on par with Minecraft, etc., and that's a lot of work, so I would need to improve my living situation first (which I'm working on), once that taken care of, I would be able deliver what players deserve, which is an amazing/unique gaming experience.
  • Eve
    • 317 posts
    May 5, 2023 11:40 AM PDT

Max said: I would rather make a new game, that would cater towards that specific platform (Standalone in this case). Warmerise was catered towards browser gaming, therefore, simply releasing it on a different platform is not enough. With that being said, I would like one day to create a really big project, on par with Minecraft, etc., and that's a lot of work, so I would need to improve my living situation first (which I'm working on), once that taken care of, I would be able deliver what players deserve, which is an amazing/unique gaming experience.

That's really cool actually, good luck with that, Max. But it makes sense that Warmerise was aimed and always will be towards browser, but what about the current issues the game has? Do you have plans to fix them, or make a new game instead?

• 998 posts
    May 5, 2023 11:44 AM PDT
    Eve said:

Max said: I would rather make a new game, that would cater towards that specific platform (Standalone in this case). Warmerise was catered towards browser gaming, therefore, simply releasing it on a different platform is not enough. With that being said, I would like one day to create a really big project, on par with Minecraft, etc., and that's a lot of work, so I would need to improve my living situation first (which I'm working on), once that taken care of, I would be able deliver what players deserve, which is an amazing/unique gaming experience.

That's really cool actually, good luck with that, Max. But it makes sense that Warmerise was aimed and always will be towards browser, but what about the current issues the game has? Do you have plans to fix them, or make a new game instead?

I do have plans for fixing the current issues in the game, after the server downgrade on May 10, I will be back to updating the game.
  • Eve
    • 317 posts
    May 5, 2023 11:58 AM PDT

Can I make a list explaining every issue, and why it is bad/annoying and why it should be fixed? And send it to you in messages? I'm afriad to make it a forum topic, because people will disagree because most suggestions will remove a lot of unfair advantages, which people will not be fans of.  

• 998 posts
    May 5, 2023 12:13 PM PDT
    The issues cannot be just for you, the majority of the players have to agree on them, otherwise, they're not an issue for everyone.
    • 509 posts
    May 5, 2023 12:44 PM PDT

is there a solution for this? Sometimes shield doesn't block trapmines (they still kill you)

• 96 posts
    May 5, 2023 4:06 PM PDT
    What about the Aimbbot users on your game.
    • 954 posts
    May 5, 2023 4:28 PM PDT

So Max. about the new game thing (all of this is an "if". im not saying you are saying there *will* be a new game), will it be the same game? will you create Warmerise again from scratch or a completely different concept, gameplay, and genre? I don't want Warmerise to go away, but im not saying you will remove the game. im just wondering if you are talking about a "warmerise 2" type of thing.

• 954 posts
    May 5, 2023 4:33 PM PDT

Also, here are the visible problems of the game.

• default sniper is used too much as close range
    • additionals should have a 5 second cooldown (or maybe add an option to set a certian time limit in the room creation)
    • instead of reducing the number of additionals, you have one but it recharges over time (this goes with the one right above)
    • jet is way too OP and breaks the physics (no realistic flying. all the players do is just go up and down and bomb everyone)
    • car should have first person driving and 3rd person turret option
    • revolver fire rate should be dropped a little (fires to fast for a revolver)
    • should be a smooth climbing feature to replace the spam jump to climb a hill
    • stamina runs out way too fast
    • car physics are way too "hollow", meaning when you ram each other the two cars either get stuck in each other and vibrate a lot, or one (or both) flies out of the multiverse, while taking so much damage that you start to flame.
    • when you run over bodies it takes way too much damage that you start smoking or flaming.
    • weapons become stiff after you pick them up casually (without throwing it)
    • and last but very not least: the hit delay with the guns, meaning you get shot but on your screen the opponent hits a wall. this also applies to sniping. when a sniper is on a hill, it seems like they are shooting through the hill. I can't see any part of their body besides 0.001% of their head.
    • 507 posts
    May 5, 2023 7:00 PM PDT
    Guys, forums work a lot better when each suggestion or bug has it's own thread lol
    • 2098 posts
    May 5, 2023 8:06 PM PDT
    *visibly pleading*
    • 652 posts
    May 6, 2023 8:21 AM PDT

Spacetrooper said:

• additionals should have a 5 second cooldown (or maybe add an option to set a certian time limit in the room creation)
    • instead of reducing the number of additionals, you have one but it recharges over time (this goes with the one right above)
    • jet is way too OP and breaks the physics (no realistic flying. all the players do is just go up and down and bomb everyone)
    • car should have first person driving and 3rd person turret option
    • revolver fire rate should be dropped a little (fires to fast for a revolver)
    • should be a smooth climbing feature to replace the spam jump to climb a hill
    • stamina runs out way too fast
    • car physics are way too "hollow", meaning when you ram each other the two cars either get stuck in each other and vibrate a lot, or one (or both) flies out of the multiverse, while taking so much damage that you start to flame.
    • when you run over bodies it takes way too much damage that you start smoking or flaming.
    • weapons become stiff after you pick them up casually (without throwing it)
    • and last but very not least: the hit delay with the guns, meaning you get shot but on your screen the opponent hits a wall. this also applies to sniping. when a sniper is on a hill, it seems like they are shooting through the hill. I can't see any part of their body besides 0.001% of their head.

alright cool we are talking about support softwares not weapons whatever stuff bro

• May 6, 2023 11:19 AM PDT
    Crispin said:
    What about the Aimbbot users on your game.

yes @Max u need to do something with aim:bot users
    • 21 posts
    May 6, 2023 11:34 AM PDT

Crispin said: What about the Aimbbot users on your game.

XDD who aimbboting ? 

• 1147 posts
    May 6, 2023 12:31 PM PDT

Ikuto said:

Crispin said: What about the Aimbbot users on your game.

XDD who aimbboting ? 

The Big Shoe:

Height: 7'1

Weight: 481 lbs.

Hand Size: 8 in

yeah hes true aimbotter

• 96 posts
    May 7, 2023 3:21 AM PDT
    Touch grass
  • Eve
    • 317 posts
    May 10, 2023 5:39 AM PDT

Spacetrooper said:

L115A3 is the best sniper in it's own case so yes it is used a lot, but also the worst due to being bugged. 

• 2098 posts
    May 10, 2023 5:49 AM PDT

L11 is the best gun in the game

• 954 posts
    May 10, 2023 6:40 AM PDT
    It’s to OP in close range. I’m killing this guy with my blast gun then the dude on 1 hp just shoots me once with L11. Everyone uses the sniper wrong in my opinion. Snipers are long range, not close quarters.
  • Eve
    • 317 posts
    May 10, 2023 6:48 AM PDT

Spacetrooper said: It’s to OP in close range. I’m killing this guy with my blast gun then the dude on 1 hp just shoots me once with L11. Everyone uses the sniper wrong in my opinion. Snipers are long range, not close quarters.

It's not too op in close range, its just better, the problem is everyone becomes an autospammer and doesnt bother to learn really how good snipers are. Sure snipers are meant for long range but in this game autos can be used long range too. 

then the dude on 1 hp just shoots me once with L11. At least congratulate them for being able to aim in a tense situation instead of complaining.